Friday, April 25

Nic Fanciulli Interview

This is an interview which I took to Nic Fanciulli back in 2006 that was never published. Use to work that time for a project that was suppose to be launched in Romania and never did - DJ Mag. Just found out that the license was bought meanwhile, but not by the brand I worked for. Was a pleasure doing that, but a pain in the ass the fact that we were suppose to send the same silly short questions to all DJs in the data base.
Wanted to ask Nic so much more, but now that I'm back on the track I will soon. Enjoy this since it was never published. :)

- How did your DJ career started?
- It started off by working in a record shop, and also by bombarding my local club with mix tapes week in week out.

- How do you choose your tracks for a live set?

- I pick a variation of records across the board, from deep house through to techno. Although some clubs you understand that there is a certain music policy so I always do background checks on the clubs to see what they are into.

- What’s your favorite club in the whole world and why?

- I think it has to be my residency in my home town. The night is called Club Class, I've grown up playing and going to this club for the last 9 years. Its always good to play at a club in your home town because you get to see all your mates enjoying them selves as well as the regular people that always come along.

- What makes a DJ/production/set being commercial?
- Commercial gets confused sometimes. I think there’s two types 1:where the dj or producer just goes down the route of wanting to make big records or to make people have there hands in the air for the whole night. The other is the producer who makes that record which is so good everyone across the board can play it.

- What’s your opinion about the Romanian clubbing scene?
- I've only played once and I had a great night.

- What makes a party great?
- Great sound, small venue, friendly people and, of course, good music.

- When and where did you make a marathon on the turntables? How
many hours?

- Space Miami last November I played for 11 hours – 9 in the main room and 3 on the terrace.

- Turntables, CDJs or laptop? Why?
- I think all of them, I find it hard to travel with vinyl, but when I'm in the UK I try and use all of the above. DJs shouldn’t be scared about trying new equipment.
Special thanks to lovely Beth @ Bullitt Bookings for this.

No comments: